Rick,

"that many of the new entrants do not have that zeal or desire to put
resources into such activities."

That is about it in a nutshell.  Most techs buy a two meter FM radio.
 You hear them on the local repeaters for maybe a month or so and then
disappear into the woodwork.  After that investment, are they going to
go out and purchase a HF rig, I bet not.

Jerry  -  K0HZI

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am not sure how many high powered, high gain antenna stations there
 are out there, but it does not seem to be an area of growth like it
was at one time.

With 100 watts and a good beam, it should be easy to work a similar
station from my QTH to the Twin Cities (~ 150 miles). You would think
that since there are so many no code technician hams, who can not do
long range HF, that they would want to do this on 6 and 2 meters at
least. But I have come to the conclusion that by making the licenses
easier to get (much, much easier to get), that many of the new
entrants do not have that zeal or desire to put resources into such
activities.
<snip>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional