Wide SSTV isn't affected by this, it can still be run in the phone bands
as it is now. The 500 Hz limitation keeps it out of the digital bands.

Anyway, despite the majority interpretation, I still don't think that
the new rules will in fact eliminate the ability to run >500 Hz digital
text modes. That all rests on what exactly is considered emission type
F2D. Most seem to believe that this includes all of the digital text
modes, but I don't think so.

According to the ITU web site (you don't get more canonical than that),
content type 'D' is "Data transmission, telemetry, [and] telecommand".
Type 'B' (which isn't on the restricted list) is "Telegraphy - for
automatic reception". So, it all comes down to what is or is not
considered "data."

It is already established that RTTY is {F,J}2B. My interpretation is
that "data" refers to information to be stored in a file on a computer
(including plain text format), and "telegraphy" is information (pure
text only, no images or binary files) intended to be read on the spot by
the recipient. BBSes are most likely in the business of handling data,
so the mail handling stuff will be subject to the restriction no matter
what mode they use. However, if you're just going keyboard-to-keyboard,
2 KHz Pactor III counts as 'telegraphy' and thus is legal.

Cliff's notes: If you're going keyboard-to-keyboard, 1 KHz Olivia, MT63,
Q15X25, Pactor III, et al. are mode J2*B*, and thus legal. I, for one,
intend to keep using them until Riley himself tells me not to.

-Joe, KD8ATU

Roger J. Buffington wrote:
> Do the recent FCC reg changes affect our ability to use 1Khz Olivia or
> SSTV?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: