It is ironic that the FCC decision is actually much more restrictive
than what some digital proponents were expecting.

Based on my earlier comments, I am doubtful that the FCC would reverse
what seems to be their new concept of having narrow bandwidth areas and
wide bandwidth areas.

What I really think has to happen, is for the FCC to realize that it
would be a reasonable compromise to allow wide bandwith data in the wide
bandwidth phone/image areas.

Although there is opposition by many non-digital hams, I think the main
reason for this is that they do not realize that the signals are often
identical sounding whether image (FAX)/digital voice/digital data. To
highlight this, if I scan a document and send it as an image, it should
be completely legal on the phone/image portions of the bands, but if I
conserve on the bandwidth, and use a text based method, then it would
not be legal.

It just seems to me that reasonable people would find this ... unreasonable.