Got me.  I always thought digital simply meant two stages, on and off.  CW
is digital, as is RTTY.  Its the scheme of the on/off or mark/space that
gives us the "mode"  of digital transmissions.  Analogue is a smooth (albeit
sometimes very rapid) transition between the bandwidth limits.  Almost all
our digital modes are simply keying a tone which rides along on SSB
signals - the same as voice does.  I put my rig in SSB to transmit and
receive PSK and the other digital modes I run.  If they do not modulate the
signal beyond those parameters, what is the difference if we run voice,
digital voice, SSTV , PSK, etc?   It is still a SSB signal with some type of
modulation.  I think we are getting much too involved in trying to outguess
ourselves here.   CW is different, as we are simply turning the carrier on
and off, and even it is an analogue carrier.  "Data" has thrown a real kink
in amateur radio thinking, and I think we think too much about it.

Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
DX 2-6 years each.