For software control with a computer, the only partial solution was to
use a Pactor I program developed for Linux, but from comments from those
who have used it, the results were mediocre at best since it can not
equal the dedicated box. I am not sure if this is still true with the
much more powerful computers of today. Perhaps someone here in the group
has tried it with a 2 or 3 GHz computer and can report on its
effectiveness, or lack thereof.

It is possible that someday we might see more adoption of the PSKmail
system, which also uses the Linux OS to operate. This system has few
servers at act as the go between the internet and the remote user. The
throughput is very slow compared to the Winlink 2000 system but it is
also much more bandwidth conserving.

I am assuming that you want to connect to the Winlink 2000 system which
now only uses Pactor I, II and in some areas will likely continue with
III.  If you want to connect with good speed, you would need the
proprietary, single sourced German SCS box since no one has come very
close to matching the Pactor 2 throughput for 500 Hz bandwidth with
using a soundcard mode. And the Winlink 2000 SCAMP effort failed to
compete successfully so was never further developed and now would be
illegal under the new rules:(  The Winlink 2000 servers typically have a
maximum connect time of 30 minutes per 24 hours, so a slow modem might
not get everything through depending upon your needs. The only less
expensive alternative would be a used Kantronics or AEA/Timewave box
running only Pactor I. The new boxes from these companies are so
expensive now, that you would be better off to go with the SCS.

Because of the FCC mandated changes for U.S. amateur licensees, it looks
like Pactor 3 will no longer be possible on the ham bands unless the FCC
makes a change to its recent decision. I don't see how it can possibly
do that and still support their contention that there must be narrow
bandwidth areas for data, unless they allow wide bandwidth data modes in
the phone/image area.