Since I've been travelling in Asia, I just now had a chance to
read the recent FCC omnibus ruling. It seems that many hams,
including ARRL (and myself) were confused by the initial reports
and synopsis of the R&O and the ruling. That is not surprising,
since the FCC actions were poorly written, self-contradictory,
and unclear. But, the new FCC definition of "Data" does not have
the effect that some of us thought from the first news.

Here is a list I just put together, to better understand which common
ham digital modes are affected or not affected by the new FCC rules.
I don't see any common digital data modes being used by hams that
are J2D. It seems that ARRL and everyone else were worried about
a 500Hz J2D limit over nothing.

73---Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

Emission Designators for Common
Amateur Radio Digital Data / Text / Fax

Frequency Modulated
RTTY (FSK) =  F1D /  F1B / F1C
MFSK (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
ALE (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
PACTOR (FSK) =  F1D / F1B / F1C
PACKET (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
FSK31 (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
8FSK DTM ARQ (FSK) =  F1D / F1B / F1C
8FSK DBM ARQ (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
FMHELL (FSK) = F1B / F1C

Phase Modulated
BPSK31 (PSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
QPSK31 (QPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
PSK63 (PSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
Q15X25 (QPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
MT63 (DBPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
PACTORII (DPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
PACTORIII (DBPSK or DQPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
MIL-STD 188-110 (PSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C

Amplitude and Angle Modulated Simultaneously
Olivia (AMFSK) = D1D / D1B / D1C
OFDM (AMPSK) = D1D / D1B / D1C

Duration or Position Modulated
FELDHELL (PWM) = L1B / L1C
FELDHELL (PPM) = M1B / M1C

New FCC Data Definition effective 15 December 2006:
(2) Data. Telemetry, telecommand and computer communications emissions
having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol;
1 as the second symbol; D as the third symbol, and emissions A1C, F1C,
F2C, J2C, J3C, and J2D having an occupied bandwidth of 500 Hz or less
when transmitted on an amateur service frequency below 30 MHz. Only
adigital code of a type specifically authorized in this part may be
transmitted.

.