Hi Roger,

ARRL was as confused as many other hams were by the new rules. That
was understandable, considering how poorly written and
self-contradictory they are.

But, in the case of the 500Hz bandwidth limit, the FCC has already
published guidelines in the R&O to aid us in interpretation of their
new rules. If there is to be any argument about interpretation of the
rules, it is probably best to bet on the side of what FCC intended:

"19.   ...To accommodate the concern raised by ARRL, however, we will
revise our rules to clarify that the 500 Hz limitation applies only to
the emission types we are adding to the definition of data when
transmitted on amateur service frequencies below 30 MHz.
By amending the rule in this manner, the 500 bandwidth limitation will
not apply to other data emission types or amateur service bands in
which a higher symbol rate or bandwidth currently is permitted."

After reading the FCC's own words, you can now clearly see that FCC
never intended to limit the fast data modes that hams have been using
for many years. Their intent is to only limit images sent in the data
subbands to 500Hz bandwidth. Nothing more.

There is no deception. Pactor-3 is legal on HF, as it always has been.
In fact, Pactor-1 can now be used to send photos in the data subband.

73---Bonnie KQ6XA