There are many versions of the AMD 64 3200+, ranging in clock speed
from 2 to 2.2 GHz. All have 128 kb of level-1 cache; some have 512 kb
of level-2 cache, and some have 1 mb.

All versions of the AMD 64 X2 Dual-core 3800+ clock are specified as 2
GHz, with 128 kb of level-1 cache and 512 kb of level-2 cache. The
package contains two processors.

The P4 HT 524 is not listed in Intel's P4 web page

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/index_view_p4.htm

but looking at the specs of its closest neighbors, its clock rate is
probably 2.8 to 3 GHz, and its level-2 cache is probably 1 mb.

Besides CPU clock rate, cache configuration, and bus speed, RAM size
and hard drive speed (track-to-track seek time) are important
performance parameters.

All of the systems you're considering will likely yield adequate
performance for IE, Outlook, and a couple of digital mode apps. The AMD
64 X2 Dual-core 3800+ will give you a 10-20% performance boost over an
equivalent uniprocessor; only apps designed to exploit dual processors,
e.g. Photoshop, get more than that.

While 512 mb is enough to run XP, you'll almost certainly want to
upgrade to 1 gb or more. What are the RAM upgrade limits of these three
systems? I wouldn't buy a system limited to 1 gb; adding RAM is the
cheapest performance upgrade, and you want that option when you need it.

Unless you're also planning to use the machine for digital photography
or videography, disk capacity is unlikely to be an issue; anything
north of 40 gb should be fine. Do be sure that the system can
accomodate a second internal hard drive, though, in case your needs
change and you want to add capacity and/or redundancy.

If you're running more apps than fit simultaneously in RAM, then you
don't want a slow hard drive. Compare the track-to-track seek times of
the drives in the systems you're considering with the data available
from

http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html

If you have additional questions, fire away Andy.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>