  From: Rick Karlquist
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Cc: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 07:28 UTC
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: OFDM data is Emission Designator D1D

  You are still confused about the definition of "orthogonal".
  Before Orthogonal Frequency Domain Multiplex (OFDM), there are
  (Non-orthogonal) Frequency Domain Multiplex (FDM). It too used
  each sub carrier to send an independent stream of bits. The
  sub carriers were NOT orthogonal. They didn't need to be because
  their sidebands did not overlap. OFDM squeezes more carriers into
  the same space by making the carriers and their modulation orthogonal
  to their next door neighbors. This allows some overlap.

  The subcarriers in Pactor-3 may indeed be orthogonal (I don't know)
  but that cannot be deduced from the fact that they carry independent
  streams of bits.

  Rick N6RK