Currently, the default compressed image format for amateur radio digital
SSTV images has been jpeg2000 (file extension of jp2).

Both jpeg2000 and a similar ATT developed djvu system are wavelet type
compression programs. Both are MRC (Mixed Raster Content) based which
means that the document to be compressed is separated into components
that are handled as separate layers, such as graphics, photographs,
text, along with various backgrounds.

Adobe also seems to have much more compression if you want it in their
pdf's now although the pdf files were vector files in the past. I am not
sure if this is true for those that are highly compressed. I did some
major compression of docs with pictures with the built in pdf creator in
Open Office and the results were about what I expected. The wavelet
types of compression may work better, but I don't know for sure unless I
had a way to do it in windows.

To make it even more confusing there is a newer type of jpeg2000/part 6,
(file extension jpm),  but I am not very sure what advantages there are.

A year or so ago I was looking at the djvu approach but it just did not
seem to be going anywhere. It costs money to buy programs from
commercial sources but now I realize that it is also open source.

Many of these programs are extremely expensive to do the compression,
although the readers are a free download. The Plug-in for Irfanview  to
make at jp2 is $90. Needless to say, this is a non-starter for most of us.

There is a way to convert images to djvu with the on-line converter at:

http://any2djvu.djvuzone.org/

As of today, I found out that djvu has been selected for the OLPC (One
Laptop Per Child) computer software along with the Linux OS. Djvu has
commercial software, but also has a Libre version at:

http://djvulibre.djvuzone.org/

Binary packages are available for a number of Linux distros, but I am
not sure about MS Windows other than from the commercial owners who are
now LizardTech but that means you have to pay for encoding under
Windows. They released some of the implementation under the GNU GPL in
October 2000.

Does anyone have personal experience with these programs?

Thanks and ...