Jim,

I should have said that NGOs don't have funding for the current technology to
give them high-speed, robust data that fits into a 3 KHz bandwidth.  There is a
firm in Australia that does sell this equipment but the cost of the radio and
modem hardware is in access of $75 U.S.

If there was a computer modem that provided high-speed, robust data, then the
cost to the NGOs would only be the radio with wider bandwidths.  I have talked
to two U.S. manufacturers of HF LM radios that are currently in production and
they said that providing a radio with 3-10 KHz bandwidths would not add much to
the cost of their radios.  One radio cost less than $3000 and the other less
than $5000.

There are obviously many solutions to the problem(s) NGOs have with
communications.

The FCC has a great deal of latitude in what it can do with frequency
assignments and I am sure that if Congress tells them to accommodate NGOs data
communications needs, they will find some way to do it.

I believe that two or perhaps 3 10 KHz channels on 80/75, 40 and 20 meters and
one on 30M would meet the NGO needs.  In "unofficial" talks with joint
communications personnel with the 5 major disaster relief NGOs in the U.S. they
agreed that 3 channels would be sufficient.

Of course this is just discussion...food for thought and subject to refinement
and many changes or other options.

73,

Walt/K5YFW