Unless I am having a senior moment, I recall that they said the operator
listened on the frequency and if there was anything on that frequency,
he would move the frequency slightly to not interfere.

Maybe that has changed based upon another comment that the FCC allows
them to interfere, although I was unaware that the FCC allowed that.

ARRL should be setting the example for the best possible operating, not
the worst. There does seem to be more and more of a disconnect between
leadership at ARRL in general from what I have experienced over the
years. But this is just my personal experience.