This is not wishful thinking, Jose. An effective multimode busy
frequency detector was deployed in the SCAMP project more than a year
ago. Despite being a first iteration, its busy frequency detector
exceeded all expectations. SCAMP was a soundcard-based
implementation.

When attacking such a problem, one must keep in mind that perfect is
the enemy of good. A busy frequency detector that reliably detects
PSK31, CW, RTTY, and Pactor but is blind to Olivia and Domino would
be far better than no busy frequency detector. Such a detector would
be expected to evolve and improve over time -- taking advantage of
operational experience and increases in available CPU cycles. And
yes, busy frequency detectors would have to cover new modes as they
are developed -- as do the applications that decode and encode them.

  73,

     Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jose A. Amador" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>