John,

Your response is not one that I would have expected. Until my recent
retiremen, I worked for the better part of two decades, as an
environmental safety and health consultant. A substantial part of my
work involved contacting government bureaucrats at the state and federal
level to gain a clear understanding of their interpretation of the rules
that they enforced.

Sometimes you did not get an interpretation that you particularly liked,
but it was better than making a recommendation to a client without that
knowledge. As you can guess, there could be huge legal liabilities to it
any other way.

The letter you reference would not be an interpretation from the FCC,
nor a communication from the FCC other than an unnamed FCC staffer
comment. It would not have much, if any legal weight.

What the letter amounted to was an ARRL staff interpretation of the
rules. This can be helpful as long as their interpretation would be
reasonably interpreted the same way by the government staff and they did
it in good faith. But you would have minimum legal recourse if you were
cited.

One thing that I would never do, nor put any faith in, is to just send a
cc: to the government without getting some kind of response. You should
at least receive something in return to document that the communication
was received., and received by the appropriate staffer.

If there are rules that are not clear or are actually in conflict as we
saw in the Omnibus R&O, and now codified into Part 97, it is our duty to
ask for clarification, even if we do not like the answer we receive.
Then it is necessary to Petition at some future time and ask for the
rule to be changed to what we perceive as the correct way. Otherwise,
you can have many quasi-legal activities going on that can be very
uncomfortable for most of us who follow the rules.

I am very concerned about the ARRL's recent behavior toward the FCC
which seems strident and even personal. We only have so much capital to
expend (and you never know where that point is reached), but when we use
it up, we can pay a rather large price.