>From: kd4e <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2006/12/16 Sat AM 09:34:57 CST
>To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [digitalradio] FCC Drops Morse Code

>> Ten Four, Good Buddy!
>> 73, Bob AA8X
>
>It has been "Ten Four, Good Buddy" on the part of
>13WPM and 20WPM Hams on 75M for 40 years.
>
>So much for CW as a LID filter.
>
>Sigh.
>
>--
>
>Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
>... in sunny & warm Florida  :-)
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Thank our brave soldiers this season:
>http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gentlemen,

   This might get me flamed/burnt to a crisp but I have my asbestos underwear
firmly in place.

   I am not against CW...it's just another mode that we can use but I don't see
how it is a "lid filter".  I am currently learning CW and enjoying it enough
that I will continue learning it in spite of the R&O.  I have met incredibly
good and bad operators, in my admittedly short time as a ham, who have passed
the code.  It is my personal opinion that when computer chips that can
encode/decode CW at very fast speeds are cheap (which I believe is the case)
perhaps it is time to consider CW just another digital mode.  CW is a wonderful
mode for it's fantastic S/N ratio but the days when we might have had to
"Macgyver" a radio together from car parts and tap CW out for help are largely
gone.  The argument that someone must know CW to operate knobs on a radio is
the same one as you must know ASCII codes to use a computer keyboard (can
anyone tell me what an ASCII A is? EBCDIC A?  Things change).  Perhaps I am
naive but if there is concern about too many "lids" getting advanced tickets
couldn't we as a community increase the difficulty of the written exams to
include more radio theory?

   There are an awful lot of kids doing incredible experimentation on
shoestring budgets in the UHF range just look at the DEFCON distance shootouts
every year.  The distance records set with homemade antennas represents what
HAM radio is all about experimentation and advancement of the radio art.  It is
really hard to convince young folks that we are all about fun experimentation
and advancement of radio when we ask them to learn morse code.  The code is the
most frequently cited objection when I talk with a younger person about getting
their amateur license.  If we could get some of the young folks who are willing
to do the kind of experimentation we see with Bluetooth and 802.11 distance
records into amateur radio that would be fantastic.  In fact, my theory is that
people like that are amateur radio operators at heart they just don't know it
yet.  Just my uninformed .02

Best Regards,
Manaen