Rig control uses a serial port's TXD and RXD signals to send commands
to the transceiver and to receive responses from the transceiver.

Some transceivers can be directed to switch between reception and
transmission by sending rig control commands. Others can only be
switched via an input signal (often named SEND or PTT); this is
typically handled by using a serial port modem control signal (DTR or
RTS) to drive a one-transistor interface that generates the required
receive-transmit switching signal.

In theory, then, both rig control and receive-transmit switching can
be accomplished with a single serial port. If the rig control and PSK
applications are separate and do not communicate, then two serial
ports will be required: Windows won't allow two diffferent
applications to open the same serial port. A single application that
provides rig control and receive-transmit switching (e.g. MixW) or a
set of interoperating applications (e.g. DXLab) require only one
serial port. HRD's documentation should reveal whether it requires
one or two serial ports.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ