We tried using 6 meters for a "local" voice net, but few members had
adequate capability and almost no one had horizontal polarization. We
thought that we would be able to attract the Technican class hams but no
luck with that. Our nets are heavily promoted on the local internet
reflector and by word of mouth.

We have had the best results with 10 meters where most of the members
are using omnidirectional vertically polarized antennas. One ham uses an
80 meter dipole and has one of the strongest signals out 25 miles or so
from a very difficult location, but the antenna is very high. Most
stations don't tend to move the S meter much, if at all, and a number of
them are just at the noise level and I have very low noise. For those of
us outside the immediate area, it is not very satisfactory. Nothing like
NVIS 80 or 160 meter groups.

We tried 15 meters one night and it seemed to work better. This may be
related to the capture area of the antenna? But other times 10 still
seemed better. One other reason for selecting 10 meters was that Novices
and Tech + could operate there. Not one has ever participated from our
area:(

I think that this tells you that giving hams privileges doesn't
necessarily translate into activity. It will be very interesting to see
what happens when no code Techs can also use these frequencies. Some
have suggested that many Technician class hams may be upgrading to
General or even Extra and it could impact the VHF and higher bands.

None of the voice net members has been willing to try digital
communications in my area. I have to say that round table digital
contacts are not something that I am particularly interested in as the
communication rate is so slow compared to voice and you have to be
really careful to not double with another station.

This is one time that break-in CW totally blows away other digital mode.
We really don't have any other QSK digital modes, do we?