From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dave Corio
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 8:16 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Keying interface

    Hi again, Rick and thanks for the info.

    The RIGblaster does not key CW, unfortunately. If there is a jumper
inside that can be changed to allow it, that would be even more problems,
since most of my operating is on the digi-modes, and swapping a jumper back
& forth isn't too practical.

    I've seen schematics for the interface, and I agree that it is very
simple. Not too long ago I would have tried to build it, but that's not a
viable option any more either, unfortunately.

    That Donner cable (can't help but visualize a wagon train stranded in
the mountains) seems to be just what the doctor ordered, however! I only
wanted to use a USB port since my serial ports are all in use, but a 4-port
serial PCI card is real cheap, and just might do the trick! I didn't find
his site when I did a Google for CW interfaces!

    Thanks again for the info! Now to follow up with Donner!

73 and Happy New Year
Dave
KB3MOW

KV9U wrote:

Dave,

If you have a Rigblaster, other than the NOMIC version, shouldn't it
have the ability to TX CW? Most of the rigblasters have an optoisolated
keying circuit.

Some of the rigblasters have an internal jumper that you can set for
various keying arrangements and I think one lets you operate PTT from
RTS and CW keying from DTR, but I wonder if this requires two com ports?

Quite a few years ago, a young ham came to me who lived a short distance
from me (about a block) and was getting into contesting in a big way and
needed to hook up a computer to key the rig. The circuit is about as
simple a circuit as you will ever find in electronics as it only needs
one NPN transistor and a couple of resistors to key off the RTS or DTR
line. We soldered it up in a few minutes with junkbox parts and
installed them in a DB connector. Can't remember if it was a DB-25 or
DB-9, but probably the bigger one which also was much easier to find
room. He told me later that it really worked well but that was probably
MS-DOS. He eventually really got into contesting in a big way and into
computer stuff and many of you may even know of KA9FOX's web site at
QTH.com.

A similar product is available from companies such as Donner for a low
price:

http://home. <http://home.att.net/%7En8st/cwhardkey.html>
att.net/~n8st/cwhardkey.html

With modern computers, running XP through a USB I have heard of some
problems in being able to key well depending upon how high the speed, so
this could be an issue.

Let us know how things work out for you.

Dave wrote:

>Would anyone have a CW keying interface they would be willing to sell?
>I'd like to be able to send CW from my PC to my IC-746 (non-Pro). I
>have a RIGblaster already hooked up, but that's no good for CW. I'm
>not too concerned with copying CW on the PC, just sending. Had
>shoulder surgery and can't use that arm for paddles for quite a while.
>First choice would be one triggered from a USB port if such a beast
>exists, but I could free up one of the serial ports. Don't have a lot
>to spend, and can't build my own, so I'm hoping someone has one that
>they no longer use and would like to sell.
>
>Thanks & 73
>Dave
>KB3MOW

  _____