Erik,

You are quite right.

Theoretically, U.S. hams can use CW across the 40 meter band (depending
upon their license class), as well as operate Digital modes in the
Data/RTTY subband of 7.000 to 7.125. In practice, this is probably not a
wise thing to do. I would be hesitant to operate digital modes below
7.025. That area is the Extra Class exclusive subband and that generally
means CW and particularly DX CW.

The ARRL Bandplan calls for the RTTY/Data area to be from 7.080 to 7.125
which suggests strongly that the ARRL is not keeping p with actual
operating practices since the PSK31 watering hole starts at 7.070 most
any time.

I personally have not operated digital modes below 7.070, other than CW,
but then I have not been actively seeking DX contacts. ARRL does list
the spot frequency of 7.040 for RTTY/Data DX and I am sure it would be
OK to spread out from that frequency as needed if there was a lot of
activity there. Here in the midwest U.S., I don't think that I have
really heard much RTTY/Data below 7.070 though.