Please allow my 2 cents worth.

KN6KB in his presentation of SCAMP to the DCC a couple of years had a slide
that showed where he measured P III with a channel simulator from KC7WW.  I
showed that around -5 dB SNR there was still something in the area of 200 WPM
throughput.

I believe that you might be able to see some incidental throughput perhaps at
less than 50 WPM.

The thing that will absolutely kill Pactor III is its 100 baud physical
signaling rate.  There are conditions on HF when this high of a baud rate
simply will NOT propagate.

IMHO, if they were to drop the baud rate to 50, they might even see a higher
throughput at a -5 dB SNR.

Its interesting to note that KC7WW measured MT63 on his channel simulator and
MT63 showed 200 WPM at or near -5 dB SNR.

I discussed this at leangth with Vic Poor when we had breakfast at the DCC and
he agreed that the above was probably true for Pactor III and MT63-2K between
-2 and -7 dB.

If anyone would like to verify KN6KB's measurements, I recommend you purchase a
copy of the DCC proceedings from TAPR that contain KN6KB's SCAMP
presentation...or purchase a KC7WW channel simulator and check it yourself.
Note, you might also try duplicating the test using Moe Wheatly's
PathSimulator.  It runs on a PC and is free to download.

73,

Walt/K5YFW