Andy, it looks to me like you may have either a virus or some type of
spyware, and that the hard-drive access is eating your lunch. I know you
said you scanned for both, but I recall once having a virus that disabled
my Mcafee anti-virus, and left it appearing to still work! What programs
do you have running on your taskbar at any given time? Anything like a
weather bug, a news headline, anything that would requre constant
hard-drive access?

What anti-virus and anti-spyware are you
using, and are they kept up to date? I'd suggest deleting and reinstalling
the anti-virus, to be sure that's functional, and I highly recommend
"Adaware" as an anti-spyware program. It's free and seems to
catch everything.

Just as an aside, the company I work for - a
major life insurance carrier - will not allow any computers used for the
business to use IE7. There are just too many issues with it to use in this
environment.

73
Dave
KB3MOW

Thanks Bernie, I usually use IE 7 with XP sp2. I am using IE7 to type
> this message since my test a few minutes ago with Firefox did not

> replicate the problem. Also looks like IE7 is working OK as I
type
> this. In taskmanger 98 of the CPU is currently listed as
"system ilde
> process" , alg.exe is using 150,648 of
RAM.