While I agree with some of your views, for those of us who followed this
very closely, it was definitely the cost of the OS that made it
impossible for anyone to buy Xenix as a good example at $1000. It just
was not something the average user would pay for, nor would the OEM's
have this installed when they could put on a crude, but somewhat
functional DOS type of OS for maybe $40.

Microsoft then leveraged that increasingly installed base by realizing
that applications were the key. This was probably Bill Gates' main
decision that lead to success. My first IBM computer used the pathetic
Windows 2.11. It was really bad stuff, even for that time. I was one of
the earliest adopters using the then totally new VGA graphics which blew
away EGA. Then what really made the big difference was Windows 3.0 and
font handling for word processing. Finally, Windows 3.1 for much
improved fonts.

While MS did not give Office away with Windows, Gateway was the one
company which made a brilliant move and included MS Office for a very
low ball price. I prefer MS Word to anything else out there for word
processing, especially because of its formatting of tables of which I
used to use in my work. Open Office can not quite equal MS Office in
that area. But my wife switched to OO several years ago and when I
retired, I removed all MS Office applications from my computer and also
switched over to OO as well. I have not had any problems with documents
produced in OO except reading some formatting and with some powerpoints.
With the new trend to XML, and the new open standards, even MS is being
pushed to comply if you have been following the politics on that.

I hate Outlook, but thought that Linux was pretty much interoperable
with it now. I agree with your Vista assessment. Everyone including MS
knows though that almost no one is going to upgrade to Vista, it will
only be because it is already on the machine you buy. If the developing
countries move toward Linux, and there is definitely a movement
underfoot, although sometimes faltering, we can expect more development
on *NIX OS's and that includes amateur radio programs too.