I'm not sure how long Winwarbler has been around, but it has to be
quite a few years since it was first released.  I have not used it
frequently since I have tended to use  Zakanaka, MixW,  or Multispk
user over the years.

Because Multipsk works very well with the DX Lab Suit,  I have
recently been using DX LAB applications more and more.  I have
vacillated between Logger32 and DX Keeper as my default logging
software.

As much as I like Logger32, I have found some aspects of DX Lab Suite
more suitable to my needs and now use DX Keeper, Spotcollector, and
Multipsk most of the time.  The DX Lab Launcher makes updating the
suite of applications so easy that I recently clicked on "upgrade" and
updated Winwarbler.

This weekend, I wanted to try and mop up a few needed states  via the
NAQP CW contest. I decided to use my DX Keeper log to track needed
stations and use the very useful feature in Spotcollector and
Pathfinder  that identify  stations known to use LOTW.  Since
Winwarbler just looks "cool",   I decided to use the nice layout for
some CW macros in the contest.  I can report that Winwarbler
interfaces very easily with my Microkeyer and the on-board Winkey
chip.  Nice sent CW,  and no lags or missed characters.  I found the
quick QSL interface with QRZ.com very useful, it allowed me to "cheat"
in NAQP, a tad , since I had a head start on what the person's name
and state was likely to be.

So with CW transmit working well, I thought I would give Winwarbler a
whirl on PSK31 and RTTY this morning.  It has been years since I used
it.  I know the authors of software like us to actually read the help
files but I like to poke around and see what can be done before
actually having to read the file.  Winwarbler is fairly easy to figure
out.  A few quick mouse clicks and I had changed the apparent default
waterfall display from monochrome to colour (choose "synthetic" under
WATERFALL DISPLAY in the PSK Config area) and the method that
identifies where you are  on the  waterfall to "markers" rather than
the default "trace" method .  At first I thought that the PSK did not
receive as well as Multipsk but I think it was just poor conditions.
Below  is the decode of a weak 20M signal.

Winwarbler
NAME îCARLOS,  CARLOS
. QTH  IS  PONT
  CELGADA
. AZORµ - HM77DR
. BTU,
I1S I1FRS DE CU2AO CU2AO

Multipsk:
NAME IS CAR,  CARLOS
. QTH  IS  PONTA DELGADA
. AZORES - HM77DR
. BTU,
I1FRS I1FRS DE CU2AO CU2AO

The squelch settings on Winwarbler were "slider 31" and in Multipsk
the squelch was a '1'.  They appear to decode weak signals about the
same.

For RTTY, set up was just as easy and performance as good as one would
expect.  I used the default settings

In Multipsk with a squelch setting of 3,  the decode of a weak signal was

CQ CQ CQ DE RZ3AFK RZ3AFK RZ3AFK PSE K
CC CQ CQ DA RZ3AFKIMZ3AFK RZ3AFK PSE K
  CQ CQ DE RZ3AFK RZ3AFK RZ3AFK NSE K

In Winwarbler

CQ CQ DE RZ3AFKRZ3AFK RZ3AFK PSE K
CQ DAFK RZ3AFK PSE K
CQ DE RZ3AFK RZ3AFK RZ3AFK PK J

Again, not a whole lot of difference and squelch settings not set for
exact matching.

On this Yahoogroup, we often get people that are totally new to
digital modes and are looking for something easy to start with,
usually just PSK31.  I usually suggest Digipan because it is so easy
to set-up and the newcomer can be up and running in no time.  I think
I will now add Winwarbler to that list of software recommended for the
newcomer   It is very easy to set-up,  GREAT on the eyes,  interfaces
very well with your electronic keyer, When used with it's siblings (DX
Keeper, Spotcollector, DXView, Pathfinder and Propview ) you have some
very powerful applications that I suggest the "expert" digital
operators should give a try.

Winwarbler supports decoding of BPSK31 BPSK61 QPSK31 QPSK63,
RTTY,MTTY (23 Hz RTTY), and various filtered adjustments for RTTY
affected by multipath and "fluttered" signals"

Andy K3UK
Skype Me :  callto://andyobrien73
www.obriensweb.com