Steve,

I was thinking more along the lines that the Pactor 3 signal has 8 tones
and is a wide mode. Pactor 3 is a more complicated waveform and can
adapt to conditions and are likely raised cosine shapes.

When Kantronics developed G-Tor I understood it to come from the space
program's Golay code that gives the "G" to the name. Because it was yet
another proprietary code, it never became popular. The one "local" ham
who had it was not that impressed with it from his experiences, not that
it was a bad mode. It was able to switch between 300, 200 and 100 baud,
but there were no lower speeds and I think if they had included a 50
baud speed, it might have had a chance at becoming more practical.

I am familiar with the ARRL references, and I recall reading them years
ago (or trying to read them) but the information was not very easy to
understand for me. Written in a governmentese kind of way. The fact that
things have moved very little in some many years tells you that it is
not that compelling to most radio amateurs. In fact, I would be
surprised if an article like this would make it to QST anymore. It would
probably be in QEX:)

What kind of S/N ratio do you think this waveform could go down to? And
what is the thruput?