And the internet is a series of connected tubes...

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:00 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [digitalradio] Movement toward open digital software?

I know this is a late reply...but Linux is a OS based on a Kernel.

Linux is an umbrella term that refers to a computer operating system that
uses the Linux kernel. When a Linux operating system also uses GNU software,
it may be referred to as GNU/Linux. It is the additional GUIs, desktops and
set of like system applications and system tools, that make one distribution
different from the other.

Lets compare it to gasoline and diesel cars...you have many varieties of
both varieties. unfortunately in the common user computer OS, you have
gasoline cars and the only model is Microsoft. Linux is the diesel with many
manufacturers and models but still all diesel. Some like Volvo diesels, some
BMW some other brands...but they are all diesel.

Walt/K5YFW