Hi David,

I did some experiments with VK2ZEN in Newcastle - 194km distance by GPS. We
tried machine reception of CW, RTTY, PSK31 and MFSK16. There was a lot of
QRN. MFSK16 provided 100% copy down to about 10 watts, with RTTY and PSK31
requiring about 30 watts for 100% copy. CW was woeful - about 30% machine
copy (I think we were running it too slow to get good sync). This was on 80m
at about 2300 local.

I would think from my experiments that running MFSK16 at reasonable power
(say 50W for a 100W rig) would provide for quite reliable communications
using NVIS.

73,
Brett VK2TMG