--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gee Rick, you mean the whole telephone system, inclulding cells were
out for
> one cut?  Sounds like they need to do some backup planning at the phone
> company too.

Yep, seems like I've read of even some military systems, where they
insisted on redundant cabling, going down due to a single failure.
I sorta remember reading about one case where they had two independent
service providers, but both of them ran their fiber optic cables
over the same bridge.  And the bridge got washed out or knocked out.
Or they had two independent service providers but the cabling to
get to the providers from the military building ran through the same
conduit for some distance, and that was the conduit that got cut.