Well the $10,000 was just a number I suppose put up for informal discussion an
HF data mode/mode challange project.  As I learned, not necessarly a single
$10,000 prize since there are always administrative costs such as evaluating
the
entries.  Also you might have a prize for the runner up.  I always forget about
  administrative cost when I get excited.   Again, the dollar amount was only a
WAG.

I assume the TTF, and perhaps board members, since the chairman of the TTF is
the vice-director of the Pacific Division, discussed this probably informally
at
the ARRL Annual Meeting last weekend before the TTF gave its report to the
Board.  I am sure that the final amount will be something that the CFO and Exec
Board will hash out.

The TTF report was accepted which does not imply that the Board was for or
against any of the TTF report items/ideas.

But the key words are..."To overcome this, ARRL could issue a design challenge
with a substantial monetary prize."

The thing to do now is to encourage your director (who has the vote) to push
for
a "design challange" and make any monetary prize worth while to those who write
the code. The Board and/or the Execuative Board would make the final decision
on
holding the design challenge.

Professional code writers I know get from $75 to $200 per hour.

Walt/K5YFW