> Walt K5YFW wrote:
> Another consideration is what would the bandwidth be with
> DSB where two 350 Hz PSK modes were sent?  The bandwidth
> would be 770+ Hz.
> problem is finding an ISB receiver which you would need.
> Perhaps a direct conversion receiver with a Q/I (?) detector
> and DSP brickwall filter would work.

Hi Walt,

Some PSK31 software programs presently have the capability
to simultaneously receive multiple PSK carriers. They could
be used with an ordinary 2.8kHz bandwidth SSB receiver to decode
DSB-transmitted PSK if the PSK if the audio frequency isn't higher
than about 1.2kHz. Only a simple frequency offset of the receiver
is needed. Some method to vote/combine the two PSK sigs would be
needed, if the intent was to achieve some type of decoding gain.

This is similar to "RMPSK", which I proposed several years
ago, for ham development. So far, no ham digital software author
has taken it on. It is still open :)

RMPSK (Redundant Multiple PSK)
2 (or more) carriers of PSK separated by 200Hz to 500Hz or more,
all transmitting "separately" with the same text/information.
The purpose of the "RMPSK" Redundant-Multiple-PSK signal is
to communicate through frequency-selective noise and fading,
and carrier type RFI and QRM. It is superior to other modes
we presently have, because it is backwards compatible with PSK,
and one stream of the signal could be received if the other
ones are missing or buried in QRM.

Another big advantage of RMPSK is complete compatibility with
existing amateur standard single carrier PSK reception and
transmission.

Regular PSK can talk to RMPSK,
and RMPSK can talk to PSK.

Time Synchronisation
The PSK carriers may transmit information synchronised with either:
(A) Simultaneous, with "zero" no time delay between carriers.
(B) Fixed synchronized time delay of 0.10sec to 2.50sec.
The time delay may be requested automatically by the receiving
station, or set manually by the transmitting station, or
adjusted for propagation conditions.

It is especially useful for situations where the receiving
station has interference from digital RFI noise sources
(such as RFI, BPL, HomePlug, TVI, computer-I, etc).

Up until now, most of the ham digital modes have been designed
for best performance in a "random noise" channel. But hams
also need modes that can work in a "carrier noise" channel.

Many of the RFI noise sources we experience now on HF are from
devices such as plasma TV sets, computers, microprocessors, and
other digital semiconductor devices that put out multiple carriers
and frequency-selective noise. Many amateur operators live in
apartments, condos, and flats where noise levels are high and
external antennas are limited. In most of these cases, the
operator does not have control over these noise sources.

With a frequency-redundant signal being transmitted, the
receiving operator (or the receiving PSK software) can pick
the best PSK signal(s) or request certain spacing of the
PSK carriers from the transmitting operator.

Alternatively, all of the carriers may be combined and/or
voted upon by the software receiver as a type of FEC,
multi-path fading reduction, or frequency-selective fading
reduction.

In better signal/noise conditions, all of the carriers of the
system may be combined for faster throughput of digital files,
or image information, as an MPSK signal.

As another alternate example, the content of the carriers
could be multi-media, with one carrier having keyboarding text
and the other carriers having image or data.

About 5 years ago, one of the commercial products I invented and
developed used a similar technique (Redundant Multiple OFDM)
although I did it with very large (and expensive) DSP engines on
both ends of the comm link.

This type of RMPSK technique is a solution for ham operators
to communicate signals through BPL - PLC (Broadband over PowerLine)
HF interference. ARRL probably wouldn't want us to develop such BPL-
busting modes, because it might undermine their BPL lawsuit. :)
But the fact is, in home-BPL is already deployed, and will
continue to be in the future, and ARRL can't sue every home
owner who plugs a BPL-enabled in-home modem into the wall.
If you live in an apartment or near a house that has in-home
BPL, you are likely to face interference. This may affect many
hams in the future as these things become more common.

Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

.