> Paul L Schmidt, K9PS wrote: If you wanted to produce a pair of PSK31
> signals separated by, say, 150 Hz, with a pilot carrier between them,
> it'd simply be a matter of building the appropriate waveforms to make
> it happen that way.
 > Basically, a cheap software-defined radio, covering a small segment
 > of a single band with a single crystal oscillator.

Can you describe this to a RF digital design newbie, please?

> By the way, I just checked part 97 -- ISB is legal (type "B"
> emission) within certain guidelines...

Can you clarify this as well?  So many different
things have been said about the relationship of the
regs to this mode.

And, if the FCC has indicated an intention to render
the mode illegal, or has tightened it too far to
permit reasonable experimentation perhaps the list
members can join together and ask them to make a
change -- and explain why?

Merely because a mode may be abused is no reason to
make it illegal.  There is no reason that the FCC
cannot set and strictly enforce reasonable maximums
for SSB, AM, ISB, DSB, and digital mode bandwidth -
to enforce reasonable sharing of limited spectrum --
leaving the mode selection to the users.

FM is no wider than common AM and many overdriven
SSB signals heard every day.  SSTV and DSSTV as well.
Limit them all to a reasonable maximum and set the
modes free -- users will vote with their mode-selectors.

It has been well documented that certain modes do
not play well with others, generally difficult to
identify and prone-to-QRM semi-auto and auto digital
modes -- the restriction of those to narrow segments
of the bands makes good sense.

Otherwise, with a reasonable enforcement presence,
the rest of the bands may be pretty wide open and
all modes permitted.

WDYT?

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E