I had a Ten Tec Pegasus which is basically the precursor to the Jupiter,
but strictly computer controlled. It was OK as a rig, but of course
fairly low end as is the Jupiter. I am just amazed at the comments made
by a number of hams as to how wonderful this equipment compares to other
rigs.

I liked the ability to change the DSP filters to a number of presets.
The DSP was not comparable to more expensive rigs, but was not too bad
either. The IMD DR, which many consider to be the most important
parameter, is quite poor as are many rigs in the under $1000 price
class. The Jupiter has to be the most expensive transceiver for the
performance delivered and I feel that I am being somewhat charitable
when I say that. The eham reviews show a very low 4.3 rating with well
over 100 reviews. This tells me that a lot of hams have purchased this
unit, but found it well below average. Any rating on eham that is below
4.5 and with a substantial number of reviews, suggests a problem. The
Pegasus had a 4.7 rating with about 40 reviews and I think that was
because of the new concept of one of the first DSP rigs with moderate
cost ($900) at the time.

These rigs are relatively easy to interface because they are designed
with a 5 pin DIN plug to handle line in and line out and PTT. This means
you can set up keying via VOX. It is not always easy to set up but can
be done. ICOM rigs can not do this unless you go through their
microphone port which to me is completely unacceptable as I want to keep
the digital modes through the data ports.

The main reason for trading my Pegasus in for an Argonaut V was to have
a QRP type rig for fun (and the trade price after all those years for a
"used" Argo was only about $150) and because Ten Tec abandoned these
rigs and no longer updates them. They also never developed good software
for the interface and expected you to buy a third party software which
can get very expensive if you purchase an annual subscription. They gave
you the impression that they would continue to develop and improve
software for their rigs and they have completely failed in this regard.
The real concern I had was that I may eventually do more with Linux OS
and I am concerned that these rigs may be more orphan rigs since they
are not the mainstream big three Japanese products.

I do find that that my ICOM 756 Pro 2 works a lot better than the Ten
Tec product, but then you would expect it to considering the price
difference.