Hi Peter,

The D-Star is a JARL open protocol and was developed in Japan based on
their desires for a digital mode. It falls far short of what I would
ever want but there are those who are investing a lot of money in trying
out these technologies.

The VHF/UHF rigs from ICOM are dual mode and can work with either
digital or analog. The 1.2 GHz rig is strictly digital and operates at a
much higher data rate and has a raw 128 Kbps speed.

You are correct that if using the digital protocol, it is only going to
be able to communicate with other D-Star units since it can only use the
one protocol. If other protocols eventually develop, and based on the
performance of D-Star, I would expect this to happen, newer equipment
may be possible to be backward compatible.

My hope is that eventually there might be some digital voice protocol
that was compelling enough to consider "investing" in such a system, but
it just does not seem to be there at this time. It might have been
better if they had had input from other potential users around the
world, but you have to give them credit for coming up with an open
protocol.

The main advantage to using D-Star is the much narrower bandwidth. While
this is not really much of a concern here in the U.S., perhaps it is in
other parts of the world. From the audio quality comparisons that I have
heard, the disadvantage seems to be the much narrower bandwidth:( The
audio quality is very poor compared to analog. Some say it is a
necessary tradeoff and since cellphones have low quality audio, people
will accept it. Maybe this will be true for new hams? But most of the
time we are talking to other stations who are full quieting or
reasonably close, so any advantage from hearing a quiet signal (though
of lower audio quality) is minimal in many cases.

One of the main reasons for using FM modes on VHF and up is the voice
quality and the practical use of repeaters. And we had the space on the
higher bands, which we did not have on the lower ones.

This may not have been such a problem if they had used the entire
bandwidth for voice, but if I understand it correctly, they have a slow
speed channel (~ 1 Kbps) that can be used for digital data. I don't
think that this bandwidth can be used by the voice channel if the data
channel is not being used, but if anyone knows for sure it would be good
to have a definitive understanding.

My view is that they may have had a better quality audio if they had
used the entire bandwidth for voice when you consider that voice has
very high throughput requirements to work well.