From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of KV9U
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 6:13 AM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Why still the W1AW CW non-listening stuff on
3.580?

A few years ago, my wife was thinking about upgrading to General but
found a similar situation where the dits and dahs sound roughly the same
to her. She decided that it was not something she wanted to spend that
many resources in trying to learn, since the only possible use she would
have for a General would be HF portable operation to enhance what we do
now with repeaters.

Because the test had dropped to such a slow speed at 5 wpm, it was
practical to consider alternate methods of reception, such as flashing
light or tactile feel. Some deaf hams have been able to hear CW by
lightly touching a speaker cone and sensing the vibrations. For some, it
is one of the few ways they could communicate.

Computers have helped tremenously in being able to display text and
images. If digital modes were extremely important for emergency
communication, it is not unreasonable that the government might include
some kind of certification for typing skills when you consider the Part
97 basis and purpose of amateur radio, but it does not seem to be viewed
as an important skill for the radio amateur.

Speech to text technology has improved somewhat over the last decade and
even QST had an article a while back with a ham that used this for
sending PSK31, rather than having to type the message on the keyboard.
On one of my farm internet discussion groups, we have at least on blind
participant and I know some who use speech to text to write their posts.

It is even possible for a deaf person to communicate with a blind person
using these kinds of technology. Just one of the extra benefits of our
digital modes:)

James Wilson wrote:

>Glad you learned it. I have spent at least 80 hours trying to learn code
using every method possible. I was getting ready to go to the doctors to
figure out what was wrong with me.

>It's hard to explain I just can't hear the sounds. Dit's and Dah's continue
to sound the same. I consider myself fairly intelligent but just couldn't
learn code.

>After they dropped code I said ok this is good, but I still want to learn
it. It's low power, ability to work in all situations then I learned about
PSK and the beauty of PSK. Now I agree with the CW guys there should be a
skills requirement for current technology. If you can't type 20 words per
minute your drop down to a tech, 30 words to be an extra. Come on, anyone
can learn how to type and 30 wpm isn't that fast.