I was not aware that the lowest S/N ratios allow for significant error
rates. For example, the British study had what seemed perfect data
throughput when they listed the S/N ratio below noise, although under
AWGN and that is more similar to VHF and up compared to HF.

Based upon the multitone success of Pactor 3, it seems that having a
moderate number of tones (18 perhaps?) might be better than having large
numbers such as found with MT-63 (64 tones).

What would happen with a DEX44 or DEX88, with or without FEC?