Hi Jerry,

The repeater was located on a farmer's silo on a ridge somewhere between
Trempealeau, WI and Winona, MN from what I recall. I did not have any
problem hitting it with modest power and antenna from Onalaska, WI. It
had pretty good coverage.

The one thing about regenerative repeaters is that they are mode
specific. If you had an RTTY regenerative repeater today, not that I
would remotely recommend such a thing anymore, you would not be able to
use any other digital modes, such as PSK31, MFSK16, Olivia, etc., since
it would only regenerate the tones close to 2125/2295 Hz.

I too had a Model 15. I paid $45 for it in the early 1980's and only had
it for a few years and sold it with a homebrew TU for $5 (including the
power supply loop for the teleprinter) due to the complete collapse of
the older technology. One of my diehard teleprinter friends, who is
still active, but won't try any new digital modes if it is not SSTV on
40 meters, used to have a Model 33 and he swore he would never get rid
of it. Well, after a few years of taking up so much space in his shack,
he somehow managed to get it downstairs and took it to the only place
possible ... the local landfill. I'm sure it was very painful to do this.

VHF RTTY would truly be an anachronistic mode today since it has been
eclipsed by the weak signal modes that would work so much better on VHF.
The weakest signal modes that have been tested to work deep into AWGN
work well on VHF and higher frequencies.

You don't see any RTTY "art" anymore come to think of it. It used to be
fairly popular on VHF, because you could operate for long periods of
time with no hits and it made for a nice picture. I especially liked the
Abraham Lincoln and the Einstein ones:)