Well Bonnie the whole of the bottom of almost every  band is narrow mode.
That is  by rule, as well as common use and has been since voice first came
on the air.

The cw,rtty, data subbands are considered narrow mode, and the top of the
bands for VOICE and Image are wider, thus wide bands.  Lets put it this way-
that is as wide band as we are going to get.  FCCs action of moving the SSB
portion down to 3.6 MHZ was not requested, but they took that in their own
heads and did it.  Thus, we are all jammed in from 3.5 to 3.6 just when the
digital modes are getting more and more popular and we need more bandwidth
for your auto stations as well as CW and  narrower Data. Not a smart move.

 (Yes- I know that CW can go anywhere in most bands - but it doesnt fit in
with SSB or automatic modes so lets not go there.)

Like has been said, most of us are going where we can find an empty slot at
the given moment, and if others intefere there will be official complaints.
If one looks around and finds a clear spot at 3.595, and starts using it,
and an automatic station suddenly starts up there later, given that these
"plans" are not law, thats what is going to happen.  I think any of us could
live with automatic stations being given a small portion of a band, as long
as they are willing to share with each other, but taking 17 or even 7
percent or some such, itsnt going to play.

Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
DX 2-6 years each