Like most things, there is a middle path on this. Most of the time I can
operate digital modes with a wide setting on my passband. The maximum on
my ICOM 756 Pro 2 is 3.6 kHz. If I do get some very strong signals, they
can and will desense the rig and the waterfall display will weaken,
sometimes unacceptably.

Then I either use my passband tuning controls to tighten up the
filtering and block out the interfering signal. This PBT is not as good
as using the selectable filters. The rig has three selections that you
can use as defaults but you can also change any one of them with a few
keypresses.

I often set up my digital modes for 2.3, 1.0 and 0.5 kHz. I can go down
to 50 Hz which is very impressive DSP filtering for CW and even PSK31.
But you don't have much leeway in tuning.

So most of the time (90%+) I use a wider setting and only tighten it up
if I have a problem decoding the station I am working. If I have the
station centered on 1500 Hz, I can change the filters or the PBT and
know that it is the best fit for the passband.

My QTH is very rural and far from any local QRO operators. My main QRM
is from my own 6 joule energizers (electric fencers) of which I have two
to cover different sides of the farm. Thankfully, my rig's noise blanker
is very effective against that kind of noise. I have never been very
impressed with DSP noise reduction, although it may help a little bit.