The problem is with your receiver design, which was designed for SSB and CW
using AGC to keep the audio output level more or less constant with RF input
and prevent "blasting" by strong signals when listening to weak signals.

It is not necessary to "listen" to digital modes, since they are basically
visual modes. I removed the AGC in the latest production run of the PSK20 so
there is no AGC capture or overload over an input range of about 60 dB. One
can argue that a 60 dB dynamic range is not enough, but I have not yet
encountered a signal that overloaded the PSK-20 or the soundcard, but I am
sure I would during Field Day with transmitters nearby. However, for typical
operating, there is no overload problem, and no AGC capture either. The gain
of the IF stage was compensated for by using more gain in the audio chain.

This would not work with the typical receiver designed for SSB and CW,
because the gain needs to be in the IF for AGC action, and not as much in
the audio as in the PSK-20. As has been mentioned, disabling the AGC is
going to result in overdriving the final IF amplifiers to distortion, so
that is not a solution.

The only solution for current receivers is narrow filtering (when needed),
but if a signal gets within the IF passband of the narrow filter it is going
to  capture the AGC anyway unless careful tuning, or passband tuning, or IF
shift, can move the strong signal and dump it off the filter slope and still
copy the weak signal. In any event, there is no substitute for a narrow
filter of some kind in such situations, but it is usually possible to
operate most of the time with the SSB filter as most of you already know.

Perhaps some day the other receiver manufacturers will take digital modes
into consideration in their receiver design. I have read that a dual-loop
AGC system helps prevent AGC capture, but I have not tried it.

The reason that some people have no problem with AGC capture and others do
is that the receivers and antenna gains are not the same for everyone, so
everyone is "right"! ;-)

73, Skip
KH6TY