I believe if you check the regulations, the automatic area on 80 meters
is even narrower at 3585 to 3600.

Because of the poor implementation of busy frequency detection, one can
expect much more QRM from automatic stations. Eventually, I expect that
the regulations will be written to prohibit operation of any HF
operation without human or machine automatic detection.

The problem is that the narrower, 500 Hz, semi-automatic modes may
operate anywhere in the text data part of the bands. On 80 meters, that
would be from 3500 to 3600 here in the U.S. However, good amateur
practice and the bandplans would not agree with that wide a use of the
bands and a ham doing that could be cited for improper operation.