Because Canada is so close to the U.S., it does impact you at some
times. It is not easy to operate digital modes when the frequency has
voice modes. I notice an increasing use of the area just above 3600 now
for Extra Class Licensees operating SSB voice.

Most of us agree with you about the bizarre decision by the FCC to
reduce text digital mode space. Of course they did increase image and
voice digital mode space by a large amount.

While I don't see any possible way to get the FCC to reverse its
decision, what I hope will eventually happen is that the FCC will allow
wide digital modes (meaning the width of voice SSB signals) to operate
in the voice/image portions of the bands, no matter what the content.

When you are operating a program such as WinDRM, which can do digital
voice, digital image, digital text, etc., there is no way to determine
what content is being sent by just hearing the audio. It escapes me why
they would want to prohibit the sending of text data as part of the mix
of data types. And so I think that it may be possible to convince them
that if the mode is basically the same as existing modes that are
permitted, then the content should not matter.

However, I would definitely NOT include any increased bandwidth for
automatic operation.

It will be interesting if and when the FCC acts on the bandwidth
proposals. But maybe they will make things worse? Hopefully not.