Having a WinLink user transmit a request when the frequency is
already in use is necessary, but not sufficient. The WinLink user may
find the frequency locally clear, and procede with his or her
request. But the WinLink PMBO that responds to that request may QRM a
QSO that the WinLink user could not hear.

The WinLink Development team pretends that a remote user's assessment
of the frequency is sufficient, but they know full well that this
approach doesn't prevent their PMBOs from QRMing ongoing QSOs. SCAMP
was a bona fide attempt on their party to address this problem, but
they seem to have lost interest.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "James Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First, I am not a winlink user.
>
> From their site
> http://www.winlink.org/guidelines.htm
> Listen First!  Because there is a live human being (control
operator) is always present at the initiating station, one common
theme is paramount to the successful operation of the system.  This
common theme, which is consistent with all Amateur Radio operations,
consists of simply listening on the frequency about to be used by the
initiating station in order to determine if that frequency is
occupied.  Obviously, if the frequency that is about to be used is
occupied, the proper procedure is to either wait until it is free
before transmitting, or find another Radio Message Server (PMBO)
whose frequencies are not otherwise occupied.  Not only is this a
common courtesy to other Amateurs, but it is also a specific
requirement of any Country's rules which regulate Amateur licenses,
Worldwide.

> To me this sounds like one of those situations that the product is
intended to break, but they put the blame on the user not the
system.

> Another example of this is a 110 horsepower motorcycle and in the
manual it says that speeding is dangerous and you should always obey
local laws and regulations.  Everyone knows they are going to break
the law but they put the responsibility on the end user instead of
the end user.

> Almost like the 2nd amendment.
>
> I think the best way to push winlink users to not interfere is to
log events where the intentionally transmit over other operators and
submit them in mass to ARRL and the FCC.

adhere to normal operational rules and not advocate deliberate
interference.