Sorry to hear about your system being on a holiday from digital radio.

  "There is no Winlink 2000 organization that you can work from within. It
  is basically a closed group of maybe half a dozen (at most) owners. They
  dictate all the terms to the amateur community and tell us how we are to
  use their system, who can have a CMS or PMBO, etc."

  In my limited dealings with winlink, looking at it as a gateway for emergency
comms for us where we
  do not have any other service, the folks running the PMBO's are like any
other Ham , interested in the hobby
  and reasonable people.

  So, ignoring the "owners" for a moment, what about appealing to the volunteer
PMBO operators scattered around the country
  and outline the problems we are having with Pactor? for the most part they
are interested in digi stuff as we are, the downside is that
  most have invested in a fancy modem as opposed to using nothing more than a
sound card. It's easy to figure out who the
  public ones are, since they are listed on the software downloadable from the
winlink site. The more difficult PMBO's to track down are the
  non-published ARES and other sites, but maybe a little CSI work would pay
off.

  I am not suggesting "flaming" these operators in any way , but politely
pointing out what theyare doing to the rest of the hobby.
  what may to them appear to be a public service is actually a disservice to
the hobby.

  I know that there will be a predictable response from some pactor operators,
telling us something to do with sex and travel. But for every one of these
operators
  that we can convince to either quit or modify their operations, that would be
one less source of QRM. Even if we convinced them
   to drop their 80M operations would be better than nothing.

  As for the ARRL, from what I have read it appears that the ARRL bowed to the
requests of the SSB operators to push the SSB segment down to
  3600, and lobbied the FCC accordingly. when the FCC acted, and there was a
backlash from other users of 80M, then the ARRL said "oops"
  and changed their tune.

  I don't think we can wait for some new mode with anti QRM features, rather we
have to be proactive in other ways....

  John
  VE5MU