Chuck Mayfield wrote:
> Wait!  WWV and WWVB transmit UTC time codes.  There is absolutely no
> way for either station to 'know' in which time zone your atomic clock
> is located.   So .... How could they correct time for DST???
>
> Enlighten me please

The WWVB signals include indicator bits for DST.  These indicators can
be used to determine whether DST is currently in effect, and whether DST
transition is to occur within the current UTC day.

See pages 19 through 21:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/1383.pdf

So they don't correct for DST, but they provide enough information so
that your clock can.  The correction is a user-selectable option in most
clocks.  I have two WWVB clocks, one is set to display UTC without DST
correction, and the other is set to display Eastern time with DST
correction.

--
73 de Nick N2QZ
Section Traffic Manager, Eastern New York Section