Bonnie,

Your definition below is not at all my understanding, nor does it square
with anything that I have read on baud rate.

My understanding for many years has been that baud refers to the symbol
rate per second. In other words, the actual changes or transitions
taking place per second.

The rate of data throughput (the signaling rate) is often expressed as
bits per second (bps). Some baud rates may allow for more data
throughput in bps than the baud rate because one symbol can carry more
than one bit depending upon the modulation scheme.

What do you consider the baud rate to be, if not the symbols per second?

KV9U