You really had me going with the length of time it takes to get an STA.
Glad to hear it is of a more reasonable time. I do wish they would allow
longer STA testing periods, but I quite agree that since they will
likely allow any reasonable experiment, you are fairly safe in getting
the everything ready before the STA goes into effect.

While I don't fully agree with Bob's view on regulations, I do respect
his amazing programming abilities.

The WiMax setup here is just a very common ISP installed RF link using
Alvarion equipment. I use the term WiMax as a generic higher powered
version of WiFi. Alvarion did not wait for the final IEEE specification
and started marketing their products much earlier. I have seen these
kinds of system other communities.

They do throttle back the throughput since you are sharing the sector
with anyone else on that connection. It can run over 1 Mbps, but they
have it below 500 Mbps I have heard. My understanding is that they have
a hexagon array of antennas with each covering 60 degrees beam width to
cover the full 360 degrees. The power level is a few watts and runs on
2.4 GHz. It can not tolerate the slightest blockage from distant
buildings or trees so is truly LOS. The neighbors barn just happens to
be in line with a water tower located about 5 or 6 miles away that has
one of their access points so there just is no useable signal at my
location. Luckily, after cutting down some trees on the other side of
the highway, I was able to open up a LOS link to a more distant tower
about 7 or 8 miles.