I know that John, and its pretty sad.  I had the same problem in Hong Kong when
I called DX.  Japan thought they were DX, but I didnt even count the cards from
there, I just weighed them by the pound.   Even here in Virginia, I can call CQ
DX and more than likely have at least one or two stateside stations respond.
They dont look my call up to see where I am, and think I am in some rare state
(Idaho - Utah ?) I guess and call, no matter how many times I am saying DX.
Frankly, anything below Mexico IS DX, but with those guys speaking in Spanish,
and sounding like a round robin I dont know why anyone would call them anyway.
There are plenty down there that do DXing, and we dont need to work the
chatters.

Hey - VE5 IS rare down here, I just look and have only 33 VE5 contacts in the
past 24 years.

Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all