I had always heard ( and believed) that our law here was patterned after
English Commo Law - until I lived in England for 6 plus years.  No Way Jose.
Things were done totally different between the two, and then you throw in
the English Colony of Hong Kong, and it was even more confusing.

I got several calls from a fellow ham who was a high ranking police officer
in HK, asking me to translate American English for him.  He delt with
foreign police agencies, concerning law breakers who affected both
countries, etc.  One letter in particular give me the willie yet.  The Los
Angles police had sent him a letter, and he deduced exactly the opposite
reply to one of his letter, than I did.  I dont remember the wording but how
it all came out was he though the LA Police were telling him they were NOT
going to return a crook to HK, when what they said was that they WERE.
The greatest difference in England and the United States is our common
language.

By the way, my license here in the states is a small piece of paper, with my
call, name, license class on it.  My license in England was about 6 double
sided pages of informatiion as to what I could, or could NOT do.

Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
DX 2-6 years each