> Danny Douglas N7DC wrote:
>
> I was trying to do some RTTY QSOs last night,
> some South American  QRM on SSB came up right on top of me.
> Tuning around I found at least a dozen Spanish QSOs
> between 7.050 and 7.01.
> ... Now, I know the rest of the world HAS to use that portion
> for SSB, but Region 2 does NOT.  They go there for a couple of
> reasons:  Less QRM from stateside stations above 7.1, and to
> keep stateside stations from calling them.

Hi Danny,

You are correct that 7000kHz-7300kHz is allocated to hams in ITU
Region 2 area, including North/South America... but...

I have operated 7MHz SSB extensively in South America over many years,
so I must point out that you are incorrect regarding each country's
ham band for 7MHz.

The 40 meter ham band in many countries of South America and
Central America is only 7000kHz to 7100kHz. That is the entire ham
band. Hams there cannot use 7100kHz-7300kHz, and even if they could,
it would be extremely difficult for them. Here is the reason...

In South America, 5MHz to 10MHz is filled with non-amateur SSB
stations using converted ham or marine transceivers. Some of the
non-amateur HF SSB stations are licensed, most are not!

The hams of each country on 40 meters run daily SSB nets in the
7050kHz-7100kHz part of the band. The hams unite as a group on net
frequencies, they must band together to protect a frequency every day
from the "pirates", and it is not easy. The most popular "pirate"
frequency is 7000kHz USB and LSB voice. It is like CB Channel 19 on
steroids. On a side note, last year, when IARU in Europe proposed
7000kHz-7003kHz as an international amateur radio emergency frequency,
I had to laugh! There is no way this frequency would be usable for ham
operation in South America!

For many years, especially in the jungle and remote mountain areas of
South America, non-amateur HF SSB has been one of the main methods
used for all types of family and business communications between
villages, ranchos, and outposts. The lack of telephones or the high
cost of telephone precluded most common people from using it. Mobile
phone has somewhat changed this, but not much.

The governments of South America mostly do not stop the HF SSB
"pirates", because their country would come to a grinding halt if they
put these stations off the air. Each village has a little store front,
with a radio operator running a 100W SSB transceiver on a car battery
with a broadband folded dipole. Each village monitors a specific HF
SSB frequency. To call a another village, you dial their frequency on
the VFO and say the village name. They send a runner out to bring the
person back to the radio. They charge a small "message unit" of money
to the person. Some stations have phone patches. I have personally
used this vast loosely-organized network, and I must say, hams could
probably learn something from it! There is more daily Emergency
Communications traffic and medical traffic on the "pirate" HF SSB
stations in South America than I have ever heard on ham radio.

Bonnie KQ6XA
OA4/KQ6XA, OA8/KQ6XA, OA9/KQ6XA