These numbers seem very much what others have reported as well. A
difference of 3 or 4 dB lower is highly significant, even with AWGN tests.

When we were testing SCAMP, which used the RDFT protocol, there was
nothing so frustrating as to watch the mode time itself out even though
signals were more than adequate to carry on a solid SSB voice contact.
Which, of course we could not do because we were in the data portion of
the band.

But just a few dB improvement in the protocol would have meant the
difference between success and no success at all, even if it had to run
a bit slower. But it was either good speed or no speed.

And this is the difference between digital data and digital voice. With
voice you have  a threshold that you really can not go below or else the
quality becomes unusable. With data, you can have fall back positions,
albeit at a slower speed.