As a heavy user of AMTOR, mostly ARQ mode though, twenty years ago, I
would have to say that this mode is not very robust. There were many
times that the signals were still pretty good, but the mode would begin
to allow errors to come through (it had a mediocre quality ARQ), or
would completely stop any further throughput. The FEC mode is not that
good either, but I suppose you wanted it for unconnected broadcasts. And
it does not have upper and lower case ASCII code characters.

BPSK is not very robust at all but works well under weak conditions if
there is not too many difficulties with the ionosphere.

I have had poor results with MT-63 working through severe QRN, but maybe
we will have to revisit that mode again to do another comparison. I
don't think that we tried the "narrow" 500 Hz version of MT-63. Maybe
that would compete well against MFSK16/8 which so far has worked the
best for us, even though a pain to get it tuned in.